Procedure to submit a prerequisite waiver request
- Prerequisites are required in order to ensure that you have acquired the necessary knowledge to complete the course successfully and to satisfy the requirements of your program of study.
- If you believe that you have the necessary knowledge to complete a course offered by the Faculty of Engineering without having successfully completed the missing prerequisite course, you must justify the reasons in the form and ensure that you respect the eligibility criteria.
The following prerequisite waiver requests will not be accepted if:
- You have not yet completed a minimum of 24 course units at our University
- You are currently on academic probation
- There is a financial hold on your student record
- You are enrolled as a special student
|Department/program||CGPA minimum required||Others requirements|
Civil Engineering (CVG)
|6.0||Must have only one missing prerequisite for the requested course except for the course CVG4001 |
|Chemical and Biological Engineering (CHG)||6.0||Must have only one missing prerequisite for the requested course The missing prerequisite course must have ideally been taken and should not have been dropped|
|Electrical Engineering (ELG)||7.0||Must have only one missing prerequisite for the requested course The missing prerequisite course must have been taken and should not have been dropped |
|Computer Engineering (CEG)||7.0||Must have only one missing prerequisite for the requested course|
|Software Engineering (SEG)||6.0||Must have only one missing prerequisite for the requested course except for the course SEG4910 |
|Mechanical Engineering (MCG) and Biomedical Engineering (MGB)||7.0||Must have only one missing prerequisite for the requested course|
|Computer Science (CSI)||7.0||Must have only one missing prerequisite for the requested course |
 A maximum of two missing prerequisites for the course CVG 4001 if the student can demonstrate that not taking the course CVG4001 will delay graduation. However, the student will not be allowed to participate in a civil engineering design project that includes a topic related to the missing prerequisites.
 Prerequisite waiver is refused for: ELG 4912.
 Prerequisite waiver is refused for: CSI 3140 without the prerequisite CSI.
Acceptable supporting documentation includes:
- Your unofficial transcripts, which is available in uoZone, under the Applications tab.
- Unofficial transcript if the course was taken at another institution.
- Course description or syllabus.
- Fill out the prerequisite waiver request form and submit it with your supporting documentation at email@example.comOttawa.ca
- You must indicate only one course on each form.
Deadline dates for submitting a prerequisite waiver request:
- Fall - August 15th
- Winter - December 1st
- Summer - April 15th
Processing time for your request:
- Please allow 5 to 10 working days to process your request.
- Should we receive a request after the specified deadlines, we cannot guarantee the outcome of the evaluation.
- Your request will be forwarded to the relevant department who will conduct the assessment. The Undergraduate Studies Office (USO) will send you the decision by email. If the request is approved, the USO is authorized to only register for the mentioned course.
- You must not submit your request directly to the course professor for permission because your application will be nulled.
- If your request is approved and you have a course conflict at the time of registration, the USO will not be able to register for your course.