The Workshop - The engineering and computer science mentoring centre
The main purpose of the centre is to support undergraduate students in their studies and with their transition to the university life. Our mentors help students by guiding them and answering their questions.
Any student at the Faculty of Engineering can use this service completely free of charge.
Just started university? Have plenty of questions on your mind and don’t know who to ask? Having difficulties adjusting to university life? Then you came to the right place.
Are you a graduate student? If so, visit the Graduate studies mentoring centre.
How it works
What is a mentor?
Our mentors are current 4th year students from the Faculty of Engineering who have been in the same position as you. They know your difficulties from their own experience and can offer solutions. Our mentors pride themselves on being good listeners and are at your disposal to provide the support you need to succeed in your studies.
How can I attend the Workshop?
- Participate in one of our activities or simply contact us.
Individual mentoring sessions
Want to improve your study skills? Individual consultations are a good way to improve topics such as:
- exam preparation
- time management
- stress management
Examples of questions/subjects asked by the students:
- How can I increase my grade point average?
- How do I improve my study skills?
- Where can I find a specific service on campus?
- What do I need to include in a weekly calendar?
- Where can I find discounted textbooks?
- How can I find work-life balance?
Participating in an individual mentorship session
- To book an appointment with a leader, send an email to engineering.mentor@uOttawa.ca
- For a drop-in session (student), visit us on Fridays from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- For a drop-in session (mature and transfer student), visit us on Mondays from 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. or on Wednesdays from 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Study groups are specific to individual courses. The mentors will go over concepts, theories and practice problems and show you the steps. Mentors will not provide solutions to graded work.
How to participate in a study group
- Simply attend the study group which interests you (when available).
Mentor by topic:
- GNG 1106 - Mahir
- MCG 1100 | MCG 1500 - Elie
- GNG 1105 - Sarmad
- MAT 1320 - Eniola
- MAT1322 - Asma
- MAT 1720 | MAT 1722 - Christ
- MAT 1341 - Oghenefejiro
- MAT 1741 - Noor
- ITI 1121 | ITI 1521 - Ibrahim
- CHG 1125 |CHG 1525 - Alexa
- MAT 1348 | MAT 1748 - Olga
- Student guidance - Liana