International Experience Scholarship
The Faculty of Engineering recognizes the impact of COVID-19 pandemic on internationalization, students’ international mobility and exchange. We realize that even under the current circumstances, when travelling abroad is not possible, the skills and competencies that our students gain from the international experience can still be obtained in a virtual context. With this regard, the Faculty is temporarily changing the approach of the International Experience Scholarship for the next call for applications. In order to enhance students’ experience at the University of Ottawa, and offer valuable international experiences remotely, the Faculty of Engineering will provide up to 20 scholarships on a competitive basis in support of activities or projects that have an international component without travelling abroad.
- Full-time uOttawa Faculty of Engineering undergraduate or graduate students returning to studies in January 2021.
- Students in their first eight months as undergraduates or in their final term of registration (at any level) are not eligible.
- Students can only get a single scholarship through their studies in support of activities or projects that have an international component without travelling abroad.
- Activities that have already started will not normally be considered for the scholarship.
Number of scholarships available
Deadline for applications
Sunday, November 1st, 2020
Activity should have an international component without travelling abroad. It should be aiming for a significant and potentially lasting interaction. Eligible activities could be, for instance, a research project of global impact with collaborators from abroad, a virtual internship in Canada (or abroad) implementing projects internationally, a virtual exchange, or a collaborative project with other institutions (or students) from outside of Canada of a significant importance to learning and professional development, forging longer-lasting international connections.
Cost of time, program, necessary equipment, supplies, software, spread and implementation of research results, etc.
Relevance of the proposed activity as a meaningful international experience for the student, global component, development of new skills, the outcome/deliverables of the activity and its impact.
The Faculty of Engineering International Office will be responsible for collecting the applications, preparing the documents for the evaluation committee, announcing the results to the candidates, and following up on each funded activity. The evaluation committee will be composed of the Dean, the Vice-Dean Research, the Vice-Dean Graduate Studies and Vice-Dean Undergraduate Studies.
Verification procedure at the end of the activity
Report from the students describing what has been achieved and a letter from the collaborative institution (or supervisor, etc.) attesting the participation in the planned activities, or some equivalent document.
Applications must include
- Signed and completed application form: International Experience Scholarship form (PDF)
- a C.V.
- a transcript (unofficial from uOZone)
- a letter from a representative of the proposed institution/organization confirming the student’s participation in an international activity remotely or virtually
- letter of support from their uOttawa supervisor
- any other supporting documents that in student’s opinion would be an asset to the application
All applications, including a signed completed application form and the above-mentioned documents, must be sent to engineering.international@uOttawa.ca.
For additional information, contact the International Affairs Office of the Faculty: engineering.international@uOttawa.ca.
This scholarship is available only to current full-time uOttawa students.