International Experience Scholarship
In order to enhance students’ experience at the University of Ottawa and provide useful international experience, each year the Faculty of Engineering will provide up to 60 scholarships in support of approved international activities (e.g., internships or visiting terms in foreign corporations, universities, institutions) on a competitive basis. The terms of the proposed activities may range from 1 month to 12 months. The value of each scholarship will be up to $6,000, with the exact amount depending on the significance and needs of the proposed activities (max. $2,000 per month as a reference).
- Full-time uOttawa Faculty of Engineering undergraduate or graduate students.
- Students in their first eight months as undergraduates or in their final term of registration (at any level) are not eligible.
- Thesis-based graduate students need to get approval from their thesis supervisors before applying.
- Students can only get a single IES scholarship (lifetime).
- Some short-term events (e.g. summer schools) with a duration less than 1 month can also be considered under exceptional circumstances.
- Activities that have already started will not normally be considered for the scholarship.
- October 15th for activities that start in the following Winter term
- February 15th for activities that start in the following Summer term
- June 15th for activities that start in the following Fall term.
A limited number of applications can be considered post-deadline under exceptional circumstances, pending availability of funds.
Relevance of the proposed activity as a meaningful international experience for the student. Supervisory, budgetary, and other considerations.
The Faculty of Engineering International Office will be responsible for collecting the applications, preparing the documents for the evaluation committee, announcing the results to the candidates, and following up on each funded activity.
The Vice-Dean International will take the lead in obtaining funds for the scholarship and organizing and chairing the scholarship evaluation committee. The evaluation committee will be composed of the following: Vice-Dean International (Chair) and two professors from the Faculty, from 3 different academic units. The two professors will be selected jointly by the Dean and the Vice-Dean International.
Students who are awarded the IES scholarship will need to provide the following documents no later than 2 weeks on their return to Canada:
- boarding passes (or equivalent documents)
- a letter from the foreign institution (or foreign supervisor, etc.) attesting the participation in the planned activities, or some equivalent document.
Students who do not provide such documents will have to refund the amount of the IES scholarship, i.e., it will be charged to their student account.
August 29, 2018 revision, Faculty Executive
Applications are currently suspended
The University is taking exceptional measures to mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak. Many restrictions on travel, commuting and social interactions have been put in place by public health authorities and its duty is to adapt to this unique situation. With this regards, the Faculty of Engineering puts on hold the International Experience Scholarship program until further notice.
Applications must include:
This scholarship is available only to current full-time uOttawa students.