Room: CBY A-336
Office: 613 562-5800 ext. 6225
Work E-mail: email@example.com
Dr. Majid Sartaj is an Assistant Professor of the Civil Engineering Department, University of Ottawa. He obtained his Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering from University of Ottawa in 2001. After graduation he worked for 2 years in consulting industry, where he was Project Engineer for the development of the first Engineered Landfill for the Caribbean nation of St. Lucia. He was also a faculty member of Isfahan University of Technology before joining University of Ottawa in 2011.
During the past 15 years, his research was directed towards developing and optimizing solid waste management (SWM) technologies, with the main focus on Bioreactor Landfiling. Benefits of operating a landfill as a bioreactor include enhancement of the landfill gas (LFG) generation rates; reduction of environmental impacts, production of end product that does not need landﬁlling, overall reduction of landﬁlling cost, rapid settlement and increased landfill capacity; improved leachate quality; reduction of post-closure activities; and the abatement of greenhouse gases. In addition to SWM, bioremediation of contaminated soils and reduction and removal of contaminants released by different industries and agricultural activities such heavy metals, cyanide and nitrate and modeling their fate and transport in the environment are among his other research topics of interest.
Dr. Sartaj is the author or co-author of over 50 research publications in peer-reviewed journals and conferences, and one book chapter. He has supervised or co-supervised more than 25 graduate students. Dr. Sartaj has been an active participant and organizer of several national and international conferences.
Fields of Interest
- Municipal and Industrial/Hazardous Solid Waste Management (Bioreactor Landfiling Technologies)
- Bioremediation of Contaminated Soils
- Removal of contaminants released by different industries such heavy metals, cyanide and nitrate
- Water quality control and modelling of surface and groundwater resources
Selected Recent Publications
- Ding, Y., Sartaj, M (2016), Statistical Analysis of Thermal and Non-Thermal effects of Sequential Microwave/Aeration Process for the Removal of Ammonia from Aqueous Solution, Intl. J. of Environ. Sci. Technol., 13:985–994.
- Dong, S., Sartaj, M (2016) Statistical Analysis and Optimization of Ammonia Removal from Landfill Leachate by Sequential Microwave/Aeration Process Using Factorial Design and Response Surface Methodology, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering 4, 100–108.
- Nair, A., Sartaj, M., Kennedy, K., Coelho, N., (2014) "Enhancing biogas production from anaerobic biodegradation of the organic fraction of municipal solid waste through leachate blending and recirculation", Waste Management & Research, Vol. 32(10) 939–946.
- Ara, E., Sartaj, M., Kennedy, K., (2014) "Effect of Microwave Pre-Treatment of Thickened Waste Activated Sludge on Biogas Production from Co-Digestion of Organic Fraction of Municipal Solid Waste, Thickened Waste Activated Sludge and Municipal Sludge", Waste Management Research, 32 (12), 1200-1209.
- Gomez, F., Sartaj, M. (2014) "Optimization of Field Scale Biopiles for Bioremediation of Petroleum Hydrocarbon Contaminated Soil at Low Temperature Conditions by Response Surface Methodology (RSM)", International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, 89, 103-109.
- Black, R., Sartaj, M., Mohammadian, A., Qiblawey, H., (2014) "Biosorption of Pb and Cu Using Fixed and Suspended Bacteria", Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 2 (3), 1663-1671.