Canada Research Chair in Large-Scale Distributed Interactive Simulation Systems and Mobile Computing and Networking and Distinguished University Professor
Room: STE 5076
Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 6960
Work E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgOttawa.ca
Azzedine Boukerche is a Full Professor and holds a Canada Research Chair position in distributed simulation and wireless and mobile networking at the University of Ottawa. He is the Founding Director of PARADISE Research Laboratory at Ottawa U. Prior to this, he held a faculty position at the University of North Texas, USA. He worked as a Senior Scientist at the Simulation Sciences Division, Metron Corporation located in San Diego. He was also employed as a Faculty at the School of Computer Science McGill University, and taught at Polytechnic of Montreal. He spent a year at the JPL/NASA-California Institute of Technology where he contributed to a project centered about the specification and verification of the software used to control interplanetary spacecraft operated by JPL/NASA Laboratory.
His current research interests include sensor networks, mobile ad hoc networks, mobile and pervasive computing, wireless multimedia, QoS service provisioning, performance evaluation and modeling of large-scale distributed systems, distributed computing, large-scale distributed interactive simulation, and parallel discrete event simulation. Dr. Boukerche has published several research papers in these areas.
Dr. Boukerche is the recipient of the Ontario Distinguished Researcher Award, Ontario Early Researcher Award (previously known as Premier of Ontario Research Excellence Award (PREA)), the Canada Research Chair , the G. S. Glinski Award for Excellence in Research, and the Ontario Distinguished Researcher Award. He was the recipient of the Best Research Paper Award at IEEE/ACM PADS'97, and the recipient of the 3rd National Award for Telecommunication Software 1999 for his work on a distributed security systems on mobile phone operations, and has been nominated for the best paper award at the IEEE/ACM PADS'99, ACM MSWiM 2001, and ACM MobiWac 2004.
He is a Co-Founder of QShine Int'l Conference, on Quality of Service for Wireless/Wired Heterogeneous Networks (QShine 2004), served as a General Chair for several conferences, such as ACM/IEEE MASCOST 1998, IEEE DS-RT 1999-2000, ACM MSWiM 2000; Program Chair for ACM/IFIPS Europar 2002, IEEE/SCS Annual Simulation Symposium ANNS 2002, ACM WWW'02, IEEE/ACM MASCOTS 2002, IEEE Wireless Local Networks WLN 03-04; IEEE Wireless, Mobile ad hoc and Sensor Networks (IPDPS/WMAN) 04-05, ACM Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems (MSWiM) 98-99, and TPC member of numerous IEEE and ACM conferences related to wireless communication, mobile computing, ad hoc and sensor networks, and distributed systems. He served as a Guest Editor for the Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing (JPDC) (Special Issue for Routing for Mobile Ad hoc, Special Issue for wireless communication and mobile computing, Special Issue for mobile ad hoc networking and computing), and ACM/kluwer Wireless Networks and ACM/Kluwer Mobile Networks Applications, and the Journal of Wireless Communication and Mobile Computing.
Dr. A. Boukerche serves as an Associate Editor and is on the Editorial Board for ACM/Springer Wireless Networks, Wiley In't Journal of Wireless Communication and Mobile Computing , the IEEE Wireless Communicaion Magazine, the Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing , and the SCS Transactions on simulation . he also serves as a Steering Committee Chair for the ACM Modeling, Analysis and Simulation for Wireless and Mobile Systems Symposium, the ACM Workshop on Performance Evaluation of Wireless Ad Hoc, Sensor, and Ubiquitous Networks, the IEEE Workshop on Performance and Management of Wireless and Mobile Networks, and the IEEE Distributed Simulation and Real-Time Applications Symposium (DS-RT).
Dr. Azzedine Boukerche has published a Book on "Algorithms and Protocols for Wireless and Mobile Systems" (Chapman & Hall/CRC 2005). a Book on "Algorithms and Protocols for Wireless and Mobile Ad Hoc Networks", Wiley&Sons, 2008, and a a Book on "Algorithms and Protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks", Wiley&Sons 2008.
Fields of Interest
- Wireless Communication and Mobile Networking
- Sensor Networks
- Wireless and Mobile Ad hoc and Mesh Networks
- Wireless Multimedia
- QoS in Heterogeneous Wired and Wireless Networks
- Security: Ad hoc, Sensor and ubiquitous Networks
- Distributed and Mobile Computing
- Distributed and Mobile Systems
- Distributed Algorithms
- Large-Scale Distributed Interactive Simulation
- DoD High Level Architecture (HLA/RTI)
- Grid Based Distributed Simulation
- Parallel and Distributed Simulation
- Distributed and Collaborative Virtual Environments
Awards and Achievements
- IEEE Computer Society Meritorious Award
- Founding Leader of DIVA – the first NSERC Strategic Network hosted at uOttawa
- Chair of the IEEE TC - Communication Society on Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks
- Fellow of the Engineering Institute of Canada
- Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, ACM/Springer Wireless Networks, Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks, and many others.
- Associate editor of Elsevier Int'l of Parallel and Distributed Computing
- Recipient of at least 12 Best ScientificResearch Paper Awards
- Elsevier Award:Citation: 2005-2010 Top Cited Article - for the work entitled - Fault tolerant wireless sensor network routing protocols for the supervision of context aware physical environments.
- Elsevier Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 66(4), 2006.}