Technology Instructor (Maker Mobile workshops)
Unit: Engineering Outreach, Faculty of Engineering
Job reports to: Outreach Officer, Faculty of Engineering
Hourly rate: $ 16.00 to $ 18.00/ hour (minimum 1 full day of 8 hours / week, up to 35 hours per week)
Employment Period: September 4 to December 21, 2018
The Maker Mobile instructor (engineering.uOttawa.ca/makermobile) will deliver interactive workshops in schools or community by driving our Maker Mobile vehicle from location to location. He / she will be trained on all equipment and tools required for the job, including 3D printers, laser cutter, micro-controllers, etc. He / she will develop or improve workshops and activities to interest youths to new rapid prototyping technologies. He / she will maintain equipment as required.
- Diploma in Engineering, Science, Education or related field, or a post-secondary student working toward such a diploma, or equivalent experience
- Perfectly bilingual (French and English, written and spoken)
- Valid driver’s license (G or class 5)
- Excellent Communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience teaching youth and experience with rapid prototyping technologies is a plus
- Ability to travel, participate at events that might be held outside regular working hours
Instructors might also travel across Ontario or Quebec in an effort to target small rural and Aboriginal communities who lack the necessary resources to promote rapid prototyping, engineering and the maker movement as a whole.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Julie Olivier at makermobile@uOttawa.ca by July 27, 2018.
The University of Ottawa is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, Aboriginals, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
Assistant to the Liaison and Communications Officer (Job 267 - 2018)
Unit: Marketing and Communications, Faculty of Engineering
Job reports to: Liaison and Communications Officer, Faculty of Engineering
Hourly rate: $ 16.00 / hour (10 hours / week)
Employment Period: January 8th to April 20th, 2018
The Assistant to the Liaison and Communications Officer will provide support for the various tasks associated with liaison and communication, such as assisting in preparing and sending correspondence, developing publications and promotional materials, event organization, promotion, and other administrative tasks. The candidate will participate in various administrative tasks as well as orientation activities as required by the Marketing and Communications team.
The assistant will also act as a resource person for faculty tours and laboratory visits.
- Be accepted by the work-study program plan (financial assistance)
- Communicate clearly orally and in writing in both official languages
- Demonstrate resourcefulness and autonomy
- Demonstrate communication skills, organization and leadership
- Be comfortable with working in a computerized environment (Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint, Outlook)
- Have a good academic record
- Understand and respect the confidentiality of student records
- Have knowledge about undergraduate programs and services at the Faculty of Engineering
Priority will be given to student(s) in engineering and computer science.
- Communicates with students (present and potential), professors, employees, members of the academic community and industry members
- Helps to prepare and organize events (preparation, implementation, cleaning); reports made following the events
- Contributes to the development of promotional materials and publications related to recruitment activities and liaison, and conducts research if necessary
- Keeps up to date on news and events related to the Faculty of Engineering
- Develops and maintains relationships with student associations and clubs
- Contributes content to update our website
- Supports the Liaison and Communications Officer in the organization of the Faculty of Engineering tours.
- Supports the Liaison and Communications Officer in various administrative tasks.