Engineers who aspire to start their companies can now do so while earning a graduate degree with our new Master of Engineering in Entrepreneurial Engineering Design.
Interest in technology-based entrepreneurship is on the rise across North America and globally. Small and medium-sized businesses have never been more important to local economies than in recent years. Entrepreneurship, whether it be social, traditional or even when referring to innovation within existing organizations, is vital for the economy and critical to solving both economic and social challenges facing current and future generations.
Our new and unique Master of Engineering in Entrepreneurial Engineering Design program focuses on engineering design as the foundation for entrepreneurship and, more specifically, on how to design new products or technologies that can be commercialized and that can have a community impact. Given the concentration of technology experts in the National Capital Region and uOttawa’s engineering connections to the technology sector, students in this new program will benefit greatly from our region’s startup ecosystem.
What can you expect from this Master of Engineering in Entrepreneurial Engineering Design?
Through a variety of courses, seminars, internships, presentations, mentors and thesis advisors, you will:
- Earn a degree while working on your startup. Acquire problem-solving techniques that will allow you to validate your ideas, modify your design and conceptualize your projects.
- Acquire startup work experience through an internship. Immerse yourself in the startup world by joining a company for an internship where you will earn invaluable hands-on experience while contributing to a real business.
- Increase your employability Develop high level-communication skills that will enable you to better comprehend, write and present effective reports and design documentation, as well as a wealth of transferable skills that will be useful no matter your chosen career trajectory.
- Learn how to commercialize research. Learn to evaluate new technology as a basis for creating a startup company and develop your ability to design solutions for complex, open-ended engineering problems.
You will also benefit from the exceptional design spaces available at the faculty in our new STEM Complex, including the Simon Nehme Design Commons, the Richard L’Abbé Makerspace, the MakerLab, the Manufacturing Training Centre and the Brunsfield Centre.
In addition, while in the program you will be able to apply to take part in our new accelerator program, MakerLaunch, which will help you scale your startup and enter the National Capital Region’s entrepreneurship ecosystem.
The Master of Engineering in Entrepreneurial Engineering Design comprises of 30 course units:
- graduate-level courses (18 units)
- internship project (3 units)
- entrepreneurial engineering design project 1 (3 units)
- entrepreneurial engineering design project 2 (6 units)
This program will provide you with a unique learning opportunity to develop your entrepreneurial design skills, to collaborate with industry leaders and to interact with professors to help create and launch new ventures.
You can now use the OUAC system to register.
Conditional upon approval by the Ontario Universities Council on Quality Assurance and the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.
Anticipated date for this program to start its first cohort: September 1, 2020.