Do you have a passion for design, technology and prototyping? Do you love creating, innovating and discovering new ways of doing things? If so, you might be in the run to win one of two Faculty of Engineering’s Maker Award.
The $10,000 awards have been created to recognize students with inspiring achievements in the fields of engineering, design and technology.
The recipients must display their hands-on projects, have the ability to work independently and create a positive impact on a given community. They should possess exceptional aptitudes for self-efficacy outside of their academic activities, demonstrating resourcefulness and passion for their projects.
To be eligible, the applicant must:
- Be recognized for a design-related accomplishment in a formal or informal way
- Meet the Faculty of Engineering criteria of enrolment
- Undergraduate level: Must register as a full-time student for the first time, in an undergraduate program at the University of Ottawa’s Faculty of Engineering, for the entire academic year starting in September 2021.
- Graduate level: Must register as a full-time student for the first time, in a graduate program at the University of Ottawa’s Faculty of Engineering, for the entire academic year starting in September 2021.
The Faculty of Engineering welcomes applicants who reflect the diverse nature of our country. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, including women, members of visible minorities, indigenous people and people with disabilities.
How to apply
To be considered, the applicant must submit:
- A two page Curriculum Vitae
- A one minute video justifying why they deserve the award
- A Maker profile: this portfolio is an opportunity for students to showcase their projects which require creative insight, technical skills, and a “hands-on” approach to learning by making. The portfolio can include pictures, designs, prototypes etc.
- A selection committee will review the submitted applications and will be holding interviews with each of the finalists.
Once the selection process is complete, finalists will be informed of the committee’s final selection.
Application deadline: May 15, 2021.
Winner of the 2018 Maker Award
Jared Poole of Sir Robert Borden High School in Ottawa is the recipient of the 2018 Maker Award. Having shown exceptional aptitudes outside the academic world and demonstrating ingenuity in his projects designed to positively impact his community, it is evident that Jared has a great passion for his projects.
The prototype he is the most proud of, the “The Glove”, is designed to be an assistive exoskeleton for people suffering from Parkinson’s disease induced hand tremors. Upon his completion, this project will be capable of negating unavoidable tremors from a user.
The Maker Award will assist Jared in nurturing his inspiring passion for design, technology, and prototyping.
We look forward to welcoming Jared to uOttawa Engineering in September!