Studies made for you
Options with this program
- Master of Computer Science (MCS) (CO-OP option available)
- Master of Computer Science, Concentration in Artificial Intelligence (MCS) (CO-OP option available)
- Master of Computer Science Specialization in Bioinformatics
- Doctorate of Philosophy in Computer Science (PhD)
This program is only offered in English.
- Digital Watermarking
- Topics in Artificial Intelligence
- Data Networks
- Natural Language Processing
- Machine Learning
- Ethics for Artificial Intelligence
- Ubiquitous Sensing for Smart Cities
- Electronic Commerce Technologies
Enhance your studies
Located in the heart of Canada’s capital, a few steps away from Parliament Hill, the University of Ottawa is among Canada’s top 10 research universities.
uOttawa focuses research strengths and efforts in four Strategic Areas of Development in Research (SADRs):
- Canada and the World
- Molecular and Environmental Sciences
With cutting-edge research, our graduate students, researchers and educators strongly influence national and international priorities.
Experience your future career and help fund your studies with the CO-OP program. With the Co-operative Education (CO-OP) Program, you can gain hands-on experience in your field of study while you complete your degree.
Some participating employers:
- CIENA Corporation
- Canada Revenue Agency
- Electronic Arts Inc.
- Ford Motor Company of Canada
- National Research Council Canada
- RBC Royal Bank
- TripAdvisor Media Group
Examples of tasks at work:
- Conduct project analyses and project management
- Design basic programs and extensions to existing programs
- Help design and implement software modules for a whole range of applications related to databases, networking, telecommunication, business intelligence, embedded systems, mathematical and statistical analysis, etc.;
- Plan and execute test suites
- Write program codes in the most commonly used languages, including C, C++, Java, Prolog, Assembler, Perl and fourth-generation languages
- Write quality software documentation and manuals
- $ 14 - $ 34
Scholarships and bursaries
If you are looking for ways to finance your studies, the Faculty of Engineering and the University of Ottawa offer a lot of scholarships that could help you fund your studies. The University also offers financial support to help students reach their full potential.
To find what fits your needs best, please visit the Award and financial support website.
Things to know
Are you interested in this program? Check out the below sections to get ready and ensure that you meet all the requirements before applying.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible, candidate must:
- Have a bachelor of science degree with honours in computer science (or equivalent), with a minimum average of B (70%).
Note: International candidates must check the admission equivalencies for the diploma they received in their country of origin.
- Identify at least one professor who is willing to supervise your research and thesis. We recommend that you contact potential thesis supervisors as soon as possible.
The Accelerated Stream has three additional requirements. Candidates must:
- Complete two OCICS master’s courses each with 70% (B) or higher grade (taken during their Bachelor’s program in Computer Science or Software Engineering).
- Have an admission average of A- (80%) or higher.
- Have a thesis supervisor.
Applicants must be able to understand and fluently speak the language of instruction (French or English) in the program to which they are applying. Proof of linguistic proficiency may be required.
Applicants whose first language is neither French nor English must provide proof of proficiency in the language of instruction.
Note: Candidates are responsible for any fees associated with the language tests.
Opportunities with this degree
Software technologies and systems developer in many diverse fields, including: