Studies made for you
Options with this program
This program is only offered in English.
- Water Resources Systems
- Advanced Reinforced Concrete
- Structural Stability
- Random Vibration
- Earthquake Engineering
- Ice Mechanics
- Construction Cost Estimating
- Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure in Changing Climate
Enhance your studies
Key research themes are:
- Construction engineering and management
- Environmental engineering
- Geotechnical engineering
- Structural engineering
- Sustainable Materials and Construction
- Water resources engineering
CO-OP is not available with this program
Scholarships and bursaries
If you are looking for ways to finance your studies, the Faculty of Engineering and the University of Ottawa offer a lot of scholarships that could help you fund your studies. The University also offers financial support to help students reach their full potential.
To find what fits your needs best, please visit the Award and financial support website.
Things to know
Are you interested in this program? Check out the below sections to get ready and ensure that you meet all the requirements before applying.
Am I eligible?
- Hold a bachelor’s degree with specialization or a major in civil engineering, or in the sub-disciplines normally considered to be part of civil engineering with a minimum average of B (70%).
Note: International candidates must check the admission equivalencies for the diploma they received in their country of origin.
- Applicants holding an honours bachelor’s (or major) degree in an engineering discipline other than civil engineering or in science may be considered for admission to a qualifying program with the following conditions:
- Graduates from honours engineering or science programs with a mathematics content equivalent to that of the civil engineering undergraduate program will have to take a minimum of four undergraduate civil engineering courses in their area of graduate specialty.
- Graduates from other science programs (i.e. those without the mathematical content covered in a civil engineering undergraduate program) will have to take all the core engineering undergraduate mathematics courses in addition to four qualifying undergraduate civil engineering courses in their area of specialty.
- Demonstrate strong academic performance in previous studies as shown by official transcripts, research reports, abstracts or any other documents demonstrating research skills.
- Identify at least one professor who is willing to supervise your research and thesis.
- We recommend that you contact potential thesis supervisors as soon as possible.
- To enroll, you need to have been accepted by a thesis supervisor.
- The supervisor’s name is required at the time of application.
- The choice of research supervisor will determine the primary campus location of the student. It will also determine which university awards the degree
Opportunities with this degree
- Consulting engineer
- Structural or construction engineer
- Geotechnical engineer
- Environmental engineer
- Water-resources engineer
- Municipal engineer
- Research engineer