Executive Committee Meeting 2019.02

InformationThe minutes of the meetings will be bilingual in the sense that the interventions and proposals will be made in the language in which they were made.

Faculty of Engineering Executive Committee Meeting 2019.02

13:00 February 25, 2019, in room CBY 707

PRESENT

  • J. Beauvais (Dean)
  • M. Dubé (Vice-Dean, Research)
  • M. Labrosse (Vice-Dean, Undergraduate Studies)
  • M. Bouchard (Vice Dean, International, Interim)
  • D. Taylor (Vice Dean, Quality Assurance & Teaching Innovation)
  • T. Lethbridge (Vice-Dean, Governance)
  • C. D’Amours, (Director, EECS)
  • C. Adams (EECS – CSI)
  • C. Rennie (Chair, CVG)
  • N. Baddour (Chair, MCG)
  • B. Kruczek (Chair, CHG)
  • K. Bournes (Alumni Relations Officer)
  • F. Bouchard (Manager of Outreach)
  • V. Samson (Manager of Marketing and Communications)
  • H. Howes (Manager of Development)
  • L. Roy (Assistant to the Dean)

EXCUSED

  • L. Peyton (Vice-Dean, Graduate Studies, Interim)
  • S. Gandolfini (Chief Administrative Officer)

19.02.01 Approval of the Agenda

  • The agenda was approved.
  • Written reports were circulated from the Vice Deans of Undergraduate Studies, of Graduate Studies and of Research, as well as the Managers of Marketing and Communication and of Outreach.

19.02.02 Minutes of the last meeting (January 2019)

The minutes of the previous meeting had been approved electronically.

19.02.03 Business arising

There was none.

19.02.04 Update from the Dean

Health and Safety update
  • A student slipped on the CBY stairs leading to King Edward. Several other issues regarding snow clearing were noted.
  • The Dean suggested we have a competition for videos of standard operating procedures.
STEM Update
  • There are some remaining issues regarding STEM. CVG have cancelled some classes due to the dust collector not working. Other issues include the leaking flume, a wrongly sloped floor, and pipes with a problematic pressure rating
University Strategic Planning
  • The President addressed strategic planning at the town hall session this morning. It will be important to have additional representatives of our Faculty at the third ‘deep dive’ session entitled Refining our knowledge ecosystem: teaching, learning and research, on March 14.
  • There had been a discussion at Faculty Council about the key aspirations for the strategic planning exercise.
  • Faculty Executive discussed potential Faculty events to contribute to strategic planning. It was agreed to hold one event for students and another for staff and faculty members.

Upcoming events

  • The Dean is looking for a representative to attend an event where a student is being given a co-op award on March 21
  • The VIP event will also be held March 21. Top prospective students are invited.
  • On March 18 the Dean will be giving a presentation about the status of the French language in the Faculty. He pointed out that there is evidence that a considerable number of Francophone students want to study in English.
  • Graduate poster day is March 6th. There was discussion about the categorization of the projects. There will be a scavenger hunt for undergraduates associated with this.

IdeaScale

  • T. Lethbridge described the pilot launch of the IdeaScale tool.

Space Committee

  • The Space Committee needs to meet shortly. It was agreed to hold a meeting very soon. We need to talk about grad student office space and the use of certain rooms. There was general discussion about space matters.

Admissions

  • There was discussion of various admission statistics. Numbers for next year look good, although anglophone applicants outnumber francophone applicants by large margins. There has been a very large increase in international applicants.

Budget Envelopes 2 and 3

  • We received some funding for most of the projects we proposed, although we didn’t get the amount requested, and we only received funding for the first year of 3-year proposals. We are not expecting to get an explanation for the rationale for project selection. There was discussion of the funding results of funding for various projects.

19.02.05 Next round of Faculty Position Attribution and Process

  • Forms for proposing new positions to be hired in 2020 will be available March 15th. We have a little over two months to decide on the positions we will propose. There was discussion of the decision-making process the Faculty will follow. Faculty Executive will discuss this further at its March 25th meeting: At that meeting, the Chairs and Director will pitch their suggested positions.
  • It is expected that the new university strategic research areas will be announced in early March. For now, we can use the draft strategic research areas.
  • There was extensive discussion about the criteria to be used in ranking proposals.

19.02.06 Questions relating to written reports

  • M. Dubé discussed ideas for a bi-national lab with TEC Monterey. He will liaise with the Chairs to determine the direction forward. We are discussing a summer course in applied ethics and bioethics with them. This will provide a mobility opportunity for our students and researchers.
  • There was discussion about collaboration with Arizona State University.
  • D. Taylor indicated that preparations for the Conference of the Canadian Engineering Association are going well.
  • The Dean has started having meetings with individual professors.
  • It is hoped that Line Campeau will be back soon.
  • A new HR Generalist will be starting next week.

19.02.07 Adjournment

  • The meeting ended at 15:23.

Timothy C. Lethbridge, Vice-Dean (Governance)

Back to top