Speech, audio, image, video processing
This area of research includes signal processing, data compression schemes, and transmission and storage of specific media (speech, audio, image or video), as well as signal classification and the semantic analysis of such media information. It also includes problems combining these different media into multimedia applications.
Audiovisual information constitutes the means for humans to interact with their environment. Reproduction and manipulation of such information forms the basis for huge industries in the fields of communications, robotics, entertainment, biomedical engineering and education, among many others. Specific applications include speech processing for telephony and teleconferencing, noise and echo cancellation, image processing and enhancement, media analysis for classification, storage and retrieval, the creation of virtual environments and many others.
The Faculty of Engineering of the University of Ottawa encourages the creation of successful partnerships between industry, business, government and our research community. By collaborating with us, your organization can benefit from various funding opportunities listed below and can also receive huge tax incentives!
- Federal Funding
- Provincial Funding
- Connect Canada
- Other Opportunities
The School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science also conducts research in these additional fields
- Big Data Management and Analytics
- Bioinformatics and biomedical engineering
- Broadband networks
- Distributed computing and computer architectures
- Electromagnetism, radio-frequencies and microwaves
- Information management and data mining
- Multimedia and interactive virtual environments
- Privacy and security
- Robotics, machine vision and autonomous systems
- Software engineering
- Text analysis and machine learning
- Wireless communications
- Wireless networks and mobile computing