The Entrepreneurship Concepts competition lets students present their innovative business plans to a panel of judges from the Ottawa community. Students are required to prepare a business plan with the support and guidance of experts. Then, they present their plan for the chance to win $5,000 for first place, $3,000 for second place, and $2,000 for third place.
Entrepreneurship Concepts competition — 2018
- January 26, 2018: Submission and evaluation of the written business plans for the purpose of selecting a maximum of 8 business projects to continue to the third and final phase of the competition
- Send submissions to: entrepreneurship@uOttawa.ca
- January 29, 2018: Results of the second phase of the competition communicated to the participating students
- Early February: ‘Dry-run’ of the final oral presentations
- February 12, 2018: Final oral presentations and evaluation of the 8 finalist business projects to receive monetary awards totalling $10,000: The first, second, and third place projects will win $5,000, $3,000, and $2,000, respectively.
Competition eligibility requirements
- Individual entries : participants will need to be registered students in any of the Faculty of Engineering undergraduate or graduate programs of studies during the Fall and/or Winter term.
- Team entries: a majority of the participants need to be registered students in any of the Faculty of Engineering undergraduate or graduate programs of studies during the Fall and Winter term. For teams comprising only two individuals, this condition will be fulfilled if at least one of the two team members meets these eligibility requirements.
The 2-page summary for concept competition must include the following information:
- What problem are you solving?
- What is your solution to the problem?
- How big is the market?
- What is out there (i.e., competitive products and/or existing design solutions)?
- Why do you believe that you are better?
- What is your business model?
- What is the timeline for execution? What are your deliverables?
- Describe your team's skill set.