Manufacturing Training Centre
The Manufacturing Training Centre (MTC) provides training on a variety of traditional equipment, such as lathes, milling machines and saws, as well as on the latest processes, such as additive manufacturing. Students can register for free workshops throughout the year.
We provide training at the Manufacturing Training Centre (MTC) on the use of the equipment through various workshops.
We hold regular training to be able to use our equipment in a safe way.
These activities are open to students.
We are always looking for new ways to provide the best resources and equipment’s to design, fabricate, and test complex prototypes. If you think that a training that is not being offered would be beneficial to our users, you can request it by sending us an email.
- Craftex CX611 Milling Machines
- Craftex CX601 Milling Machine
- Craftex CX706 Lathes
- King Industrial 17” Drill Press
- King Industrial 7x12 Horizontal Bandsaw
- King Industrial 17” Variable Speed Vertical Bandsaws
- Large Layout tables with layout tools
- Sheet Metal Brake
- Sheet Metal Foot Sheer
- Sheet Metal Hand Sheer
- Sheet Metal Corner Notcher
- Sheet Metal Spot Welder
Using the space
- Clean up after yourself.
- Be courteous, helpful, and respectful to your peers.
- Each machine has material restrictions and training requirements that you will have to satisfy before using it. If in doubt, please ask.
- The room may be used for special events from time to time, respect these events and do not interrupt.
When working in a machine shop or work space the right tools are a necessity. Though the shops provide students with the basic tools listed below some may want to purchase their own tools and equipment. If you are interested in purchasing your own equipment and do not know where to start looking, please see the bellow guide. These are suggested items at a reasonable economical price point, all from the same location. Most similar tools from other locations may do for your needs.
Safety Goggles are mandatory in all workspaces! You can purchase them at the store indicated below or any location of your choosing. They must be CSA approved or similar standard. In addition, though it is not mandatory in some cases you may want to wear a lab coat to protect your clothing from dirt’s and oils in some applications. Both these items can also be purchased from most first year lab spaces in the science department.
Most projects require some form of measurement to ensure the fabricated parts are to an expected tolerance. These measuring tools can be useful for most basic applications of inspection and measurement in most shops. Depending on the project and your individual needs you may wish to look into other items.