Executive Committee Meeting 2017.12

Faculty of Engineering Executive Committee Meeting 2017.12

1:30 December 4, 2017, in room CBY A-707

PRESENT

  • J. Beauvais (Dean),
  • M. Dubé (Vice-Dean, Research),
  • M. Turcotte (Vice-Dean, Undergraduate Studies),
  • I. Nistor (Vice Dean, Graduate Studies),
  • J. Zhang (Vice-Dean, International Affairs),
  • D. Taylor (Vice Dean, Quality Assurance & Teaching Innovation),
  • L. Peyton (Vice-Dean, Governance),
  • C. D’Amours, (Director, EECS),
  • C. Rennie (Chair, CVG),
  • C. Adams (EECS – CSI),
  • B. Kruczek (Chair, CHG)
  • S. Gandolfini (Chief Administrative Officer),
  • V. Samson (Manager of Marketing and Communications),
  • D. Rodas-Wright (Manager of Development),
  • F. Bouchard (Manager of Outreach),
  • L. Roy (Assistant to the Dean).

EXCUSED

  • N. Baddour (Chair, MCG)
  • K. Bournes (Alumni Relations Officer)

Visit from Vice-President Academic and Provost David Graham

The provost facilitated a discussion of current and future directions for the university particularly as it related to the faculty of engineering and answered questions from the executive.This included a discussion of funding for students, and the topic of scholarships for PhD students (especially international students); a discussion of NSERC Collaborative Research and Development overhead calculations and how adjustments tied to graduate student funding might be more effective; a discussion of the new collective agreement for part-time professors; and a discussion on office and laboratory space limitations (i.e., need for a new building) if our proposal to accommodate full French-language instruction in all Engineering programs was approved by the province.

17.12.01 Approval of the Agenda

The agenda was approved.

17.12.02 Minutes of the last meeting (November 13)

The minutes of the previous meeting had been approved electronically.

17.12.03 Business arising

None

17.12.04 Report of Dean

Here is a brief summary of the Dean’s oral report.

Manager of Faculty Development, David Rodas-Wright is to be commended for all the work that went into the success of Giving Tuesday to raise funds for student initiatives in the Faculty as well as the support of the Marketing and Communications team.Also a special thanks to the Manager of Alumni Affairs, Kyle Bournes, the Manager for Faculty Development, and the Manager of Communications and Marketing for the successful alumni events in Toronto and Ottawa.

STEM building remains on schedule.

Response from the Alumni advisory board was enthusiastic about the proposed accelerator initiative.

We will put together a framework for defining a new Strategic Plan as the previous one completed successfully in 2016.We will need to align with the University strategic plan.The intent is to be collegial and ensure input from all faculty stakeholders as well as external partners.A document will be circulated to start the planning.
In the health and safety report, there were no incidents this month.Almost finished reviewing the incident from the previous month, and will have two independent professors validate that appropriate safety mechanisms are in place as part of the due diligence to be carried out before the research experiment resumes.

17.12.5 Reports of the Vice-Deans

17.12.5.1 Vice-Dean (Undergraduate Studies)

The Vice-Dean submitted a written report as well as an update on the statistics for this year’s admissions process compared to last years.
There was a discussion of improving the conversion rate for Ontario students with more targeted communication for the next admission cycle. It would be good if we could send prospective students a professor contact and automatically subscribe them to the engineering newsletter and advertise events on campus, including a special reception for top achievers (one in Ottawa and one in Toronto).

Statistics on retention numbers will be coming in January.

17.12.5.2 Vice-Dean (Research)

The Vice-Dean submitted a written report and presented an updated Research Action plan as well as tabling the Research Action plan document.
Despite having excellent candidates we were not successful in securing a Canada 150 chair, but the university was impressed with the quality of our candidates and we are now pursuing the possibility of one or more CRC tier 1 chairs.

The Faculty Strategic Research Action Plan will be presented to the Research Commission of the OVPR on Thursday.

17.12.5.3 Vice-Dean (Graduate Studies)

Written Report submitted.

There was a discussion of scholarships and admissions.The statistics on admissions were discussed including an acceptance rate of 52% on applications from Canadian residents and 28% on applications from international students.In terms of scholarships, there were 155 OGS applications and 55 NSERC applications from the faculty.There was a high rate of applications from Civil Engineering and E-Business programs, but less so from some other programs.

117.12.5.4 Report of the Vice-Dean (International Affairs)

The Vice-Dean has just returned from a recruitment and business development trip to China from Nov. 16th – 30th that visited 4 cities. The Vice-Dean Graduate Studies also participated.On 27th visited in Beijing met the new secretary general in charge of education, and invited them to visit our campus.The profession training program is approved to continue next year.75 Professors from China completed their 6 month training this semester and will attend the Celebration of Achievement ceremony on Thursday, December 7.
There is ongoing discussion on how to extend the program to other countries.

17.12.6.1 Chair, Chemical and Biological Engineering

There was a discussion on how to ensure all Visiting Professors, post-docs and research associates are included on email lists.Visiting profs and all post-docs need to be registered with the university and with the faculty Safety officer.All volunteers who have lab or office access need to be registered with the Safety Officer as well.
Potential issues with how seating capacity is computed for labs and offices in CBY was also discussed due to constraints related to heating and cooling systems.

17.12.7 Report from Chief Administrative Officer.

Mandatory training emails are being sent out.All mandatory training must be completed and will be reviewed both by the university and the province.
Performance-based (not enrollment-based) funding is coming from the university but we do not yet know what it will look like for the faculty.

17.12.8 Reports from Faculty Officers

Assistant to the Dean (Human Resources)
Following up with all professors to ensure mandatory training is completed by Jan. 15.

Manager of Faculty Development

Written report submitted online.

The Faculty of Engineering was highly successful in the Giving Tuesday fund-raising drive, and was 2nd only to Sports Services (which includes hockey and football varsity teams). Last year $17,500 was raised to benefit students, this year $42,500.

Manager of Outreach

Written report submitted online.

Canco funding of about $150,000/yr is moving forward but still waiting for details.The challenge will be to react quickly enough to use effectively.There is also an additional $100,000 possible in year 1 for capital expenses.

MakerMobile has started including companies in industry as targets for their events and training sessions as well as schools. The response has been very positive.

17.12.9 Other Business


The meeting ended at 4:30 pm

Liam Peyton, Vice-Dean (Governance)

Back to top