Executive Committee Meeting 2017.10

Faculty of Engineering Executive Committee Meeting 2017.10

1:30 October 2, 2017, in room CBY A-707

PRESENT

  • J. Beauvais (Dean)
  • M. Dubé (Vice-Dean, Research)
  • M. Turcotte (Vice-Dean, Undergraduate Studies)
  • I. Nistor (Vice Dean, Graduate Studies)
  • J. Zhang (Vice-Dean, International Affairs)
  • D. Taylor (Vice Dean, Quality Assurance & Teaching Innovation)
  • L. Peyton (Vice-Dean, Governance)
  • C. D’Amours, (Director, EECS)
  • C. Adams (EECS – CSI)
  • C. Rennie (Chair, CVG)
  • N. Baddour (Chair, MCG)
  • B. Kruczek (Chair, CHG)
  • S. Gandolfini (Chief Administrative Officer)
  • V. Samson (Manager of Marketing and Communications)
  • F. Bouchard (Manager of Outreach)
  • D. Rodas-Wright (Manager of Development)
  • K. Bournes (Alumni Relations Officer)
  • L. Roy (Assistant to the Dean).

Presentation from Gaby St. Pierre on Cooperative Education

Excellent growth in COOP education numbers as well as general initiatives for careers.
15% increase in the number of students involved last year, 52% growth over the last four years.

17.10.01 Approval of the Agenda

The agenda was approved. 

17.10.02 Minutes of the last meeting (June 21)

The minutes of the previous meeting had been approved electronically.

17.10.03 Business arising

The Dean had a discussion with the Vice-Dean, Undergraduate Studies on an action plan for the Faculty Undergraduate Office. There is an Oct.10 meeting scheduled with Associate Directors and there will be individual meetings to follow up with the chairs of each department and the director of EECS.

The Dean asked the Vice-Dean Governance to follow up with the Vice-Dean QATI and Vice-Dean Undergraduate Studies to propose an update of the descriptions for their positions.

Cyclical review will be coordinated with CEAB accreditation visits.  Cyclical review and CIPS for computer science not yet addressed. Carlisle Adams will follow up once the report from this year is finalized. 

17.10.04 Vice-Dean (Undergraduate Studies)

The Vice-Dean submitted a written report.
Agreement signed with La Cite of what courses will be recognized for credit on admission.
Discussion of how to ensure both P.Eng. Act and Accessiblity Act respected. It was suggested to consult with PEO. 
Assist Invest Ottawa to promote Ottawa in their bid for Amazon HQ2. Use this opportunity to increase awareness by Invest Ottawa of the impact of the Faculty of Engineering in the National Capital Region.
Discussion of the response to the university on plan to be fully bilingual. 

17.10.05 Report of Dean

Here is a brief summary of the Dean’s oral report

Welcome Week went well with only a few minor issues that have been discussed at a post-event meeting to which were invited the Engineering Student Society and Computer Science Students Association.  These minor issues included potential health issues with the use of purple dye during welcome week… as detailed in the product’s safety data sheet, it is considered to be carcinogenic at high levels.  In addition to a pre-welcome week meeting with the two student unions, there is now also a post-welcome week meeting to review any issues. 

STEM building still on schedule.  Plan to have a calendar for move-in by end of December.  It is important to nail down the schedule for moving so we can make sure key personnel are available and professors/students can adjust.

Post-swing space plan.  Inputs have been received and the plan will be finalized in consultation with chairs by next week.

Health and Safety report. Two relatively minor incidents were reviewed.

At the end of this month there will be an accreditation visit for Mechanical and Biomedical.
There is a meeting in January on the 30 by 30 Initiative of Engineers Canada… 30% women in engineering programs by 2030.

17.10.06 Reports of the Vice-Deans and Faculty Coordinators

17.10.06.1 Vice-Dean (Research)

Written report was submitted.

The IOF portion of CFI grants will soon be handled in a systematic manner by the Faculty rather than professors.  The university will receive 25% of the IOF portion, but we can make proposals to the university on how it should be spent.  The remainder can be used by the Faculty.

Encourage NSERC Discovery applicants to come to Research office for feedback sooner rather than later.

Strategic prioritization of projects was discussed in relationship to the Faculty Research Advisory Committee. (FRAC)

17.10.06.2 Vice-Dean (Graduate Studies)

Written Report submitted.

Reminder of scholarship season, please encourage students to apply.

There is a 320% increase in applications for Winter 2018 admission requests.

Proposing to restrict students to only registering for four graduate courses starting with Spring 2017.
A discussion of having an annual meeting of students’ thesis advisory committee, and the potential to have external members (industry, alumni) of the committee.

January 31 is the hard deadline for international applicants to have a complete application for Fall semester. However the Graduate Office will assist even beyond this date when a professor indicates that they are interested in supervising a potential international student.

17.10.06.3Report of the Vice-Dean (International Affairs)

The Vice-Dean did not provide a written report.

Recent trip to China offered information to 150 students 3+2 potential recruits.

Reached out to President’s office to help with China-Canada meeting in October.

Training project – 2.5million $, 250 professors

The CSC trainees visiting from China are not official Visiting Professors with Ottawa U, we need to have a process in place to better welcome them and manage.

17.10.06.4 Vice-Dean (Quality Assurance and Teaching Innovation)

The Vice-Dean did not provide a written report.

Main topics covered in previous discussions.

Some logistics preparing for accreditation visit for Mechanical Engineering.

17.10.06.5 Vice-Dean (Governance)

The Vice Dean did not provide a written report.

Some discussion of contingency planning in case there is a work-stoppage for part-time professors.

17.10.07.1 Chair, Civil Engineering

Nothing to report.

17.10.07.2 Chair, Chemical Engineering

Nothing to report.

17.10.07.3 Chair, Mechanical Engineering

Nothing to report. 

17.10.07.4 Director, EECS

CSAC accreditation report for computer science was discussed.

17.10.08 Report from Chief Administrative Officer.

Fall projections are due Oct. 19. 

Sciquest purchasing system will rolled out to our Faculty in the coming months.

The University is reviewing how trust funds are handled and will be providing new guidelines.  All faculties have to provide details by October 31.  In our Faculty, trust funds have been used to host conferences, student projects, Adventures in Engineering and Science, etc. These funds may be transferred to self-funded budgets.

Reminder that performance appraisals will need to be done for support staff. Training will be provided by Valeriu Jalbu.

17.10.09 Reports from Faculty Officers

Assistant to the Dean

Nothing to report.

Alumni Relations

Leading a conference on Fintech (we have strong alumni).  Plan to involve CSI, SEG and CEG.    Nov. 17 (design showcase … including alumni awards)

Planning out the rest of the fall.  Adding a human resource in a coordinator role. To address role out of STEM, Kanata, outreach (for labs etc.)

Manager of Development

Opportunity table for 10, at upcoming City of Ottawa Diwali celebration.

Raj Naroula (Alumnus is chair of the event) which will be held at the Infinity convention center.
Aerospace industry association of Canada in Nov. 7 and 8 at Shaw Center.

Director of Communications and Marketing

Written report submitted online. 

Ontario Universities Fair in Toronto (140,000 people) went well with all our Faculty departments participating. 

This month uOttawa open house.

Will offer media training for professors.  Will pick a date and promote.

Manager of Outreach

Written report uploaded.

Promoting an admission scholarship for students who have extra design experience, background in design.  Will announce at OMIC at Oct. 28.  Some money already committed by Outreach, Design Chair, and possibly the faculty.  May approach local industry as well. 

17.10.10 Other Business


The meeting ended at 3:45

Liam Peyton, Vice-Dean (Governance)

Back to top