Executive Committee Meeting 2017.05

Minutes of the Meeting held at 13:00 on May 24, 2017, in room CBY 707

PRESENT
I. Nistor (Interim Dean), M. Dubé (Vice-Dean, Research), M. Turcotte (Vice-Dean, Undergraduate Studies), M. Labrosse (Vice Dean, Graduate Studies), D. Taylor (Vice Dean, Quality Assurance & Teaching Innovation), T. Lethbridge (Vice-Dean, Governance), H. Viktor (EECS – CSI), C. Rennie (Chair, CVG), N. Baddour (Chair, MCG), B. Kruczek (Chair, CHG) S. Gandolfini (Chief Administrative Officer), K. Bournes (Alumni Relations Officer), F. Bouchard (Manager of Outreach), V. Samson (Manager of Marketing and Communications) D. Rodas-Wright (Manager of Development). L. Roy (Assistant to the Dean)

EXCUSED
C. D’Amours, (Director, EECS), J. Zhang (Vice-Dean, International Affairs),

17.05.01 Approval of the Agenda

The agenda was approved.

17.05.02 Minutes of the last meeting (Apr 11)

The minutes of the previous meeting had been approved electronically.

17.05.03 Business arising

There was none.

17.05.04 Faculty Development Fund

4.1 Presentation by Michel Racine, IT Manager
The IT Team is converting the computer labs to use VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) technology, which can reduce capital expenditures and improve user experience. This means that students would run software on large servers, through thin clients (which would initially be older PCs) instead of directly on the PCs. This is being done in conjunction with Science and Telfer.

Last year the ability to run remote applications was introduced; this is a natural next step.

M. Racine discussed the distribution of computers in the labs. It is not cost effective to replace computers at the current rate. Students are bringing their own devices a lot, but our labs are still heavily used.

In the VDI plan, we would support 200 concurrent users (which is close to the maximum concurrent usage of PCs currently), instead of buying 600 PCs.

Aside from cost savings, VDI benefits include: a) agility in installation of new software and patches; b) ability to create specialized images for certain labs and for the Adventures program; c) ability to create images for computer-based exams that provide access to only whatever is allowed on the exam; d) ability to boot Linux, as needed by EECS; e) a longer life expectancy of think clients; f) the use of a lot less power.

This will be expensive at first. The total price for 5 servers and the software will be $520,000. Our Faculty’s share will be $273,684. The yearly payment with interest would be $60,632 for us.

Students would not be able to access VDI with Windows from their own devices for licensing reasons, but may be able to run Linux.

The servers will be hosted in the Central IT facilities in the basement of the FSS building (which is experiencing leaks!). A risk is that it is June, but procurement has not started. Another risk is that if the network goes down for any reason, then all PCs would not work.

If we do not do this, then we would need to buy about 180 PCs this year.

Central IT supports this initiative.

4.2 FDF Requests
There was discussion of proposals from the 4 academic units and IT. Total ask was $667K, with $630K available, including $10K not spent last year.

After discussion Executive agreed to fund all requests except a) the EECS robot cage (although $5K would be spent on training for this); b) two of the three 3D printers for MCG (with an understanding that there would be interaction with the Makerspace to share facilities); c) Some funds from CVG to balance the budget. Note that the funding for VDI, as discussed in item 4.1, was included in this approval.

17.05.05 Faculty of Engineering Awards for Teaching Assistant & Part-time Professor of the Year

On a motion duly moved and seconded, Faculty Executive Awarded the 2017 Faculty of Engineering Part Time Professor Award for Teaching Excellence to Andrew Sowinski.

On a motion duly moved and seconded Faculty Executive decided not to award the Faculty of Engineering Teaching Assistant Award this year, and recommended that future nominations need to have a higher level of support than on the single nomination received this year.

17.05.06 FTPC nominations

Some academic units had not yet proposed members. This item will therefore be handled in the coming days by email. Some FTPC members have agreed to continue for a second term.

17.05.07 Report of the Interim Dean

The Dean provided a written report.

The Dean has met extensively with the incoming Dean, and attended the Board of Governors retreat with him.

So far at convocation we have 10 professors in the morning and 8 in the afternoon. Many additional professors are needed to give a good showing.

He has received a request to indicate what it would take to have a fully French undergraduate program. He circulated this to the Executive and requested their input.

There are still some changes being made to the plans for the STEM building.

17.05.08 Reports from Faculty Officers

8.1 Manager of Outreach
Following a proposal by F. Bouchard, Faculty Executive approved to move the outreach team into B111, the current grad office, when the grad office moves into the newly consolidated space in STE.

Prior to approval, there was discussion of whether this could be temporary, and whether we should first wait to do a more comprehensive space planning exercise. It was agreed that it might be temporary, but the costs of even a temporary move would be small and would be exceeded by the benefits.

F. Bouchard proposed changing the position ‘Manager of Outreach’ to ‘Director of Outreach’. That will be discussed outside the Executive for now as an HR matter.

We have the new second Makermobile.

8.2 Director of Communications and Marketing
V. Samson indicated that there is good progress on creating the new STEM video. She is still looking for input.

There is a new Faculty presentation available.

We will be sending a survey to all those admitted, regardless of whether they accepted. The survey has new questions asking students about the attractiveness of programs that we don’t offer and to rank other universities. It was suggested that we create a similar survey for graduate students.

V. Samson discussed some HR matters.

She discussed the proposal for the Marketing and Communications Co-Ordinator. She indicated that this person could focus more on recruitment and on connections to F. Bouchard’s outreach team. It was suggested that our case for the position would be stronger if we could write a business case pointing out the extent to which having the position would help us attract more tuition revenue and research overhead, than the position would cost. It was suggested this should be a contract position to start.

8.3 Alumni Relations Officer
Alumni week went well. There were very good comments from the Dean’s luncheon.

It has been several weeks since the alumni advisory board meeting. K. Bournes suggested that we move forward with the proposed accelerator. There was discussion about this; it was agreed that we should put a proposal on paper.

8.4 Manager of Faculty Development
D. Rodas-Wright updated the Executive on the status of various gifts.

He has just returned from San Francisco, where he received great feedback. He indicated that feedback he has received suggests that whatever we do, we should have an accelerator.

17.05.09 Report of the Assistant to the Dean
We need to submit the name of a new candidate to replace Dr. Lethbridge on the Council on Undergraduate Studies. We need to find names in the next week. Dr. Lethbridge will circulate the terms of reference.

Annual reports are due at the end of the next week. Only 24% have been received so far.

17.05.10 Report of the Chief Administrative Officer

S. Gandolfini indicated that her work is being made tougher due to new requirements to obtain approvals. She indicated that other faculties are making cuts, and that this might impact us due to employees being on priority lists. Expenses such as travel and funds for academic leaders are also being more tightly scrutinized.

The $9M funds for new programs at the university has already been allocated.

17.05.11 Reports from Chairs/Directors

CVG: They are interviewing candidates for the materials position in a few weeks

17.05.12 Reports of the Vice-Deans and Faculty Coordinators

12.1 Vice-Dean (Governance)
The Vice-Dean will be delivering citation data soon.

12.2 Vice-Dean (International Affairs)
The Vice-Dean provided a written report.

12.3 Vice-Dean (Quality Assurance and Teaching Innovation)
The Vice-Dean provided a written report.

12.4 Vice-Dean (Graduate Studies)
There will be pre-selection of eligible students for the Ontario Trillum Scholarships.

International Scholarship selection will happen soon.

12.5 Vice-Dean (Undergraduate Studies)
The admission data was circulated; deadline for acceptance is June 1. We have been trying to keep the faculty at the same level; it looks as though we will achieve this.

12.6 Vice-Dean (Research)
The Vice-Dean provided a written report.

He and the other Vice Deans met with the selection committee for the Vice-President Research.

17.05.13 Other Business

The meeting ended at 16.04

Subsequent to the meeting, the following three e-votes were carried unanimously:

1) To nominate André Tremblay (CHG), Murat Saatcioglu (CVG), Jiying Zhao and Daniel Amyot (EECS) to the FTPC.

2) To nominate Claude D’Amours to the Council on Undergraduate Studies.

3) To nominate: Xudong Cao to the Council of Graduate Studies and Mamadou Fall to the Strategic Committee on Graduate and Post-Doctoral Studies

Timothy C. Lethbridge, Vice-Dean (Governance)

Back to top