Executive Committee Meeting 2015.03

Minutes of the Meeting held 08:30 March 10, 2015, in room CBY A-707

PRESENT

C. Laguë (Dean), H. Tezel (Vice-Dean, Research), J. Zhang (Vice-Dean, International Affairs), M. Labrosse (Interim Vice-Dean Graduate Studies), M. Turcotte (Vice-Dean, Undergraduate Studies), T. Lethbridge (Vice-Dean, Governance), N. Baddour (Chair, MCG), S. Vanapalli (Chair, CVG), D. Taylor (Chair, CHG), H. Viktor (EECS-CSI), V. Samson (Manager of Marketing and Communications), S. Gandolfini (Chief Administrative Officer), K. Bournes (Alumni Relations Officer), C. Blais (Manager, Faculty Development)

EXCUSED

L. Roy (Assistant to the Dean), C. D’Amours, (Director, EECS)

15.03.01 Approval of the Agenda

The agenda was approved

15.03.02 Minutes of the last meeting (Feb 17)

The minutes of the previous meeting had been approved by email.

15.03.03 Business arising

Some items are in the Dean’s written report report.

The Dean discussed the visit by the Labour Department with the Office of Risk Management. The University has been given until the middle of this month to ensure that all employees have taken the mandatory training programs required by the province. There was discussion of various approaches to ensure that all people who are employed by the University (regular and contractual) have in fact taken all required training.

15.03.04 Report of the Dean

4.1 The Dean submitted a written report

4.2 CEAB Review

The report of the CEAB Visiting Team has been received and distributed to the departments and School. Key issues raised are engineering design content and professional licensure. Chairs/Director and Associate Chairs/Directors have been asked to submit their respective comments to Dr. Turcotte no later than March 20, 2015.

4.3 Guidelines for Tenure and Promotion

On a motion duly moved and seconded the Executive Committee approved the revised Guidelines for Tenure and Promotion. We will now revise the French translation.

4.4 Academic Activity Indicators: Gathering Citation Data

The Executive agreed to ask professors to participate, on an optional basis, in ‘claiming’ their Google Scholar profiles so we can track the H5 index. Dr. Lethbridge will work with the Dean on this.

4.5 Information

The Dean met with Dr. Detellier regarding the 3-year resource allocation. We expect feedback sometime after March 24th.

It is National Engineering Month; the Dean discussed engagement of professors and noted that there has been very low attendance by professors at events organized this month, as well as in general. There was discussion of causes of low attendance and how to improve it. Some ideas expressed were to write succinct emails, to mention in subject lines ‘Please mention in class’, as well as to ask professors to ‘spread the load’ and try to attend at least a few events each year. The Dean raised the issue of the Iron Ring ceremony and pointed out that this is attended by almost 100% of students, so there is a particular need for a reasonable number of obligated professors to attend each ceremony.

There will be two regular hires in Entrepreneurial Design and Entrepreneurship, and a new contractual, part-time Engineer/Entrepreneur/Executive-in-Residence (E3iR) appointment.

The Dean discussed the Destination 2020 scorecard. We are leading in some categories and lagging in others. The Faculty needs to actively work at improving our performance in the areas in which we are weak.

15.03.05 Frank Giacobbi Award for Outstanding Faculty Services

On a motion fully moved and seconded it was agreed to present the 2015 Frank Giacobbi Award for Outstanding Faculty Services to Francine Pétrin, Administrative Clerk, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering.

15.03.06 Report of the Vice-Dean (Research)

The deadline for Strategic Grants and Strategic Networks is April 1st.

On March 5th there was a workshop on Strategic Grants.

The Faculty is working on a Mitacs funding workshop during the week of March 18th.

The Killam awards deadline is May 15th.

The process of hiring for the CRC Tier II in engineered advanced materials is underway.

H. Viktor will follow up again with the Vice Dean regarding the CRC Tier II in data science.

Hiring for the Research Facilitator is still underway.

The Vice-Dean reminded Executive members about the Women Undergraduate Summer Student Scholarships.

15.03.07 Report of the Vice Dean (Graduate Studies)

The rankings for NSERC and OGS scholarships are complete. The international scholarships will be coming up later. The reason why we have a low allocation of NSERC scholarships is the low number of applicants.

The Graduate Research Poster Competition on March 31st has a good number of participants so far. Judges are still needed.

It is expected that there will be a decision regarding the future of the FGPS in the coming months.

The Vice-Dean reported that admissions statistics for next year are similar to this year.

Online evaluation of professors will be scaled up. There will be a mechanism to evaluate TAs too, but such evaluation is not allowed to influence hiring, according to the CUPE collective agreement.

There was discussion of causes of lower participation rates when online evaluation is implemented; it was pointed out, however that there has been found not to be a statistically significant difference in the reported averages..

The Vice Dean is working with the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering (X Cao) on approaches to help graduate students throughout the Faculty write and present better.

15.03.08 Reports of the Vice-Dean (Undergraduate Studies)

8.1 Written Report

The Vice-Dean highlighted some items in his written report.

The Protection office informed students that exams were cancelled on the date that the SITE building was closed due to a water main break. The Office of the Registrar has discussed this with Protection to ensure Protection makes no comment about academic matters in the future.

Admission averages have been raised; nonetheless we have a 6% increase in the number of admission offers, except for CHG and MCG, where we wanted a decrease. Some programs, such as CEG have very significant increases in offers.

There are new processes for students writing exams in Access Services. Last Autumn, 20 students could not be accommodated due to lack of rooms, so their exams had to be deferred. A process is being put in place to allow time shifting of such exams in exceptional circumstances. In cases where an exam cannot occur at the same time as other students, professors will be informed, and will be allowed to submit a different exam for such students. The Committee on Undergraduate studies will only allow shifting forward of exams (such that the accommodated student writes a little later).

8.2 Fraud case

The Executive discussed a fraud case. The Executive agreed that the sanction would be as follows:

  • 2 e) zero for the assignments (worth 10%), with a final grade no higher than the passing grade for the course in question (D+).
  • 2 g) the addition of another 3 credits, for an ethics course, to the student’s program requirements or to the requirements of any program at the same level in which the student subsequently registers. 

15.03.09 Report of the Vice-Dean (International Affairs)

The Vice-Dean discussed the program for training Chinese professors; he is working on the details. He has approached professors and has received some indications of interest.

The Vice Dean participated in various cultural activities.

15.03.10 Reports from the Chairs/Directors

There were none.

15.03.11 Reports from the Chief Administrative Officer

The Faculty Development Fund competition is coming up, so the academic units must start preparing their submissions.

We are still waiting for the results of the renovation requests.

It is hoped that the move to ARC will take place in April.

Michel Racine is looking into issues regarding hours of opening of computer labs. Protection has expressed a preference that the building be closed overnight unless someone is hired to monitor the labs.

There have been complaints about non-functioning microwaves in the SITE Hall cafeteria area; there is some dispute about whether the Faculty of Engineering or Facilities is responsible.

There was a question about who put a sign up saying that no food and drink is allowed in the open space on the third floor of CBY. The Dean suggested that seating should be put in this space, as is the case in the basement.

15.03.12 Reports from the Manager, Faculty Development

C. Blais reported on the Startup Weekend event in which 63 multi-disciplinary teams of students and young alumni pitched business ideas.

C. Blais is working with the recipients of the Alumni Award of Excellence on development activities.

15.03.13 Reports from the Manager, Marketing and Communications

The department banners are ready and available at the office of Marketing and Communications. The banners and tablecloths can be borrowed for events.

For Continuing Education, the strategy this year has not worked, and most courses have been cancelled. V. Samson is still working on promoting a course on concrete.

V. Samson has started working on the UOttawa Viewbook. There will be some photo shoots taking place for this between now and mid-April.

National Engineering Month is going on; various events have been held with good attendance by students. V. Samson highlighted events such as a networking workshop (sold out), the Maker Space finale, a Google talk, the donor reception, and the Spring Open Doors session.

Nathalie Vallieres (Liaison Officer) has accepted a temporary posting, so her position has been posted to hire a temporary replacement.

15.03.14 Other Business

There was none.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:16.

                                                                    Timothy C. Lethbridge, Vice-Dean (Governance)

Back to top