What do computer scientists do?
Computer scientists specialize in the design and development of software systems; their work is concerned with information processing through the structuring, representation, transformation and transmission of information. Computers allow user-friendly human-machine interfaces that have found applications in all spheres of human activity.
The fundamentals of computer science include programming systems and languages, computer architecture, data structures, algorithm design, operating systems, databases, computer networks, image processing and recognition, and artificial intelligence.
Where Do Computer Scientists Typically Work?
There are two main types of employers:
- The software industry: employers include industries that develop software products (e.g. databases, graphics), industries that develop products with embedded software, and industries that develop software services.
- The software users: employers include companies and institutions of all types: banks, government, industry, financial institutions, etc.
Generally, computer science graduates find employment easily and enjoy a high degree of job satisfaction. In the Ottawa area, the demand for computer scientists is strong due to the presence of some 800 high-technology companies, in addition to the government, banks, etc. Consultants are in high demand too!
Some Computer Scientists
- Two of the three YouTube co-founders, Steve Chen and Jawed Karim
- Microsoft co-founders Bill Gates and Paul Allen.
- Linux creator Linus Torvalds
- Google co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin World Wide Web inventor Tim Berners-Lee
- Java language creator James Gosling
- Pixar co-founders Edwin Catmull and Alvy Ray Smith
Will you be the next one on this list?
Our Computer Science Program is accredited by the Canadian Information Processing Society so our graduates can more easily obtain the Information Systems Professional(I.S.P.) certification.
Visit the Registrar's website to see the complete program description
- Herna L Viktor, (613) 562-5800 x 2341
- Mirella Aiello, (613) 562-5800 x 6092